Home » , , » Glazed Meatloaf and The Renegade

Glazed Meatloaf and The Renegade

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 | 1:32 PM


Every family has a few go-to recipes that everyone loves and we are no exception.  With that in mind, last week, I decided to make meatloaf.

Big Sweetie has always been a fan, “Boogie” loves it and then….I got a bomb dropped on me – “First Son” shares that he no longer likes  meatloaf.  WHAT the WHAT?  With my best stink eye and nose flair, I asked “well, when did you decide that?” then I followed up with “I’ve never heard you say that” just to make sure I had the story straight.  He calmly answers that he’s just not diggin’ it anymore, sorry.  SORRY? Well, I've never!  Somebody in our family does not like the All-American Meatloaf?
Mercy day, what to do, what to do, thinking, thinking….then, it hit me!  Go back to basics but add a small, very small twist to the dish.  With some great beef from the Fresh Market and my recipe in hand, I went to work.  My little twist came in the form of a glaze that I added to the top of my loaf.  Things were looking good.  My kitchen filled with great aromas from my dish and my men started arriving home.  “Wow, what smells awesome?“ and “Mom, what are you cooking?” were the comments of the hour and I knew it was gonna be a good night.
Now, the results – Meatloaf Success!  Even though there was a little eye rolling from you know who, after the first taste, he was sold.  I feel redeemed and an all time favorite is back on the menu.  Some things, friends, are just worth fighting for!

Glazed Meatloaf
½ cup plain bread crumbs – fresh if you can
½ cup milk
2 lbs ground beef (mixed meat if you like – beef, lamb & pork)
1 egg, beaten
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 small onion, grated
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Glaze
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup hot pepper jelly
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
dash of salt
dash of Texas Pete

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Soak bread crumbs in milk until the absorbed – about 8 to 10 minutes.
  • Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. 
  • Shape the mixture into a loaf on a parchment lined baking pan.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Spread glaze over meat loaf and cook for 10 minutes.
  • After 10 minutes, add remaining glaze and cook until an instant-read thermometer shows 160 degrees - about 8 to 10 minutes.
  • ~Note: for the last 5 to 8 minutes, I turn my oven to broil so that the glaze gets nicely browned on top.  Let rest for 10 minutes then serve.
Print This Recipe
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. A Southern Soul - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger