Home » , , » Apple Crostata

Apple Crostata

Written By Unknown on Thursday, October 18, 2012 | 1:53 PM

There is one thing for sure in this world, there's almost nothing better than the smell of pie baking in the oven.  Come on, now...you know what I mean.  The buttery pie crust, sweet apples and then the cinnamon and sugar all coming together to attack your senses....Mercy Day!  So, with all the beautiful apples to choose from at the market, I got excited about making something for the family.  I stared with a Crostada recipe from Martha but changed it up a little.  I did not finish my dessert with a glaze of jam but instead, I added some apple butter to the bottom of the dish.  Oh my!  It gave a rich flavor to the "pie" and really made a delicious difference.  This recipe is so easy and comes together in no time flat.  I've added it to my list of "Standby Goodness"....I hope you do too!
Apple Crostata

Crust
1 disk of pie dough - I used store bought
Flour for dusting surface of parchment
1 large egg - beaten
Sugar
Filling
2 tart apples - Granny Smith or Gala peeled, cored and sliced
2  sweeter apples - McIntosh peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
1/4 cup apple butter
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  • Roll out dough to about a 13-inch round, on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
  • Toss apples, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  • Spread apple butter over bottom of dough, leaving about a 1 ½ inch border.
  • Arrange apples over apple butter. Sprinkle top of apples with additional cinnamon and nutmeg.
  •  Fold in edges of dough to form a crust.
  • Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar.
  •  Bake crostata until apples are tender and crust is golden, about 1 hour.
  • Let cool slightly.   Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Print This Recipe
Don't forget ~ the Giveaway ends on Sunday, so check out Monday's post!
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. A Southern Soul - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger